Our editors have two pretty epic email threads going among ourselves: “Articles that are great” and “Articles that piss us off”–so we thought we’d share them with you! I’ll let you guess which is from which email thread.
This week will have kind of a lot, since I’ll share from the beginning of the email threads, but I’m hoping to make this a weekly Saturday reading list.
Please feel free to share what you’ve been reading, writing, and thinking about in the comments!
- The SMOOTH way to talk to your man about his money. One editor noted, “So many assumptions, so much thinly veiled sexism…”
- Maybe you should read the book– about Sheryl Sandburg and Lean In backlash.
- The personal is political: in defense of women’s studies programs from Feministe
- Jill Filipovic asks, “Are our own gender identities so fragile that we must stigmatise a first-grader for using the girls’ room?”
- “The NYPD will arrest you for carrying condoms, but that depends entirely on who you are.”
- Gross, sexist, creepy gynecologists.
- Holly McNish performing A Poem about Flo-Rida’s Blow My Whistle.
- The editors are divided on the merits of Twilight. How Could Someone Who Writes About Lovesick Teen Girls Be a Feminist?
- NYPD Will Now Run Criminal Checks on Domestic Abuse Victims
- This Onion video that went viral for darkly foreshadowing Steubenville.
- An editor exclaimed, “Start practicing your freethrows! Because women are prizes!”
- Gender and language: the myth that women talk too much.
- India Passes Sweeping Bill on Crimes Against Women
- Cats Against Catcalling: tumblr of excellence.
- Delicious parody in response to the sexism directed at the woman who creates “I fucking love science”… Women in science: know your limits!
- The Audre Lorde Project’s Position Statement on Marriage.
- News of the Secret Service’s first female director.
- The flaws of “tell me when to stop”- Un-Memorizing the Silence is Sexy Date Script
- The real story behind the feminist tradition of an orange on the seder plate.
- For the dancers among our readers: Bug’s Question of the Day yesterday was about a really sexist student disrespecting a female instructor.
- Jezebel editor Lindy West’s open letter to all the dudes crying “misandry” on the internet.
- Doctor Who has had no female writers since 2008, and has weird girl-women issues (Thornbirds, anyone?).