Happy weekend! Here’s some stuff to read. Let us know what you’ve been reading, and share links to things you’ve written, in the comments!
- Awesome: these badass scientists defeated a superbug! Not as awesome: we don’t even get two paragraphs in before hearing about the women’s husbands and children.
- Reminder: the result of your actions is more important than your intent.
- A great takedown of Richard Fisher’s concern that Ellen Yellen’s appointment as next chairman of the Fed would be “driven by gender” – BONUS: best photo caption of the week.
- The Daily Fail wrote a review of Amanda Palmer’s tour appearance that had nothing to do with her songs, the band, the performance… it was just about her boob. AFP’s response is absolutely fantastic:
One of our editors pointed out that one of Palmer’s past projects was disrespectful to people with disabilities, “so she only gets the 90% nod of approval from me.”
- Two great articles by Amanda Marcotte: radical feminism doesn’t exist, and you should feed the trolls.
- What you really mean when you call me a bitch: identity-based insults are busted, y’all.
- The Texas legislature is really sexist– not just in their laws, but in their interactions with female colleagues.
- Russia is a dangerous place for gay people, and the government is threatening to arrest gay athletes at the Sochi Winter Olympics. So, should we boycott, or should is there a better response?
- Things that look like feminism but aren’t– a takedown of certain responses to the latest Anthony Weiner scandal.