When you’re done, come back and check out this week’s links!
- This was featured on Freshly Pressed, and it’s a really interesting read about internalized misogyny and one woman’s evolution away from being a misogynist.
Interesting psychological experiment: have people play games of Monopoly where one player has a huge advantage. Researchers found that every single time, the players with the advantages come to believe that the game is more fair than it actually is, and that they deserve to have these advantages. Basically our brains are set up to believe that the world is just, and that people deserve what they get, and that leads rich people to be as a whole massively less empathetic and generous. It’s also an interesting insight into privilege pushback.
Two Russian athletes kiss at a medal ceremony in protest of Russia’s severe anti-gay laws. Says Jan: “Man, these athletes are BRAVE. Whether or not they are gay, this definitely counts as ‘homosexual propaganda!'”
From one of our loyal readers, a comic about navigating transphobia and orientation policing from a gay man who happens to date a lot of trans men.
- In May, Congressman Alan Grayson, a Democrat who represents Florida’s 9th District, introduced new legislation that would require employers to provide workers with one week of paid leave annually, under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). As it stands now, we’re the only advanced economy that doesn’t require paid vacation days for employees.
- This week in adorable, happy feels: an Autostraddle Proposal, featuring two lesbian, Christian, native Hawaiian feminists.
The difference between “good” and “nice” in social justice work. SO GOOD.
- A compassionate Christian perspective on transgender people.
- Says Bridie: “This is the article I tried to write about female friendships but at least a billion times better. T/W for MAJOR FEELS, some discussion of serious illness and death.” [Ed. Note: I don’t know, Bridie, I thought your article was awesome.]
- Why feminists should care about the Baby Veronica case.
- Video on “Nice Guy” syndrome and rape culture.
- “They picked the wrong feminist fatty to mess with.” One kickass woman’s response to getting turned into a fat-shaming, anti-feminist meme. Also, submit to her tumblr, We are What Feminists Look Like!
- In the interest of keeping this mostly SFW, we won’t repeat the stream of expletives that followed our discovery of this awful piece: Colorado senator V. Marble went all out on racist stereotypes during a meeting of the Economic Opportunity Poverty Reduction Task Force saying, among other things, that black and latino people are poor because: fried chicken.
- What straight and oblivious people think Autostraddle writes about: a comprehensive list. Our favorite? “How to Make Sure You Have The Coolest Set of Pronouns At the Potluck.”
Turns out you don’t have to starve your workforce to make profit! Companies that are doing the right thing: Trader Joe’s and Costco.
- Obama comes out against the MONUMENTALLY stupid breed specific bans.
Criticism of Orange is The New Black, which had us all sorts of conflicted. What do you all think?
Send us your links! Tell us your feelings!