Hellooooooo readers! Are you ready for another dose of the good and the bad of the microcosm of culture that is the internet? Well here we go, and make sure to share your thoughts and reading links in the comments below!
- The creators over at the webcomic Strong Female Protagonist have broken the mold in a really great way by adding a very well written trigger warning to their upcoming chapter. We’re hoping that more webcomics will follow this trend when necessary!
- Carolyn Wysinger tells her experience of dressing queer in a corporate world filled with strict codes of dress
- In other workplace news, Maryland recently passed the Fairness for All Marylanders Act which, among other things, prohibits trans workplace discrimination! Governer O’Malley is expected to sign it enthusiastically.
- The US Supreme Court also recently ruled unanimously that people convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence charges shall be legally barred from possessing a gun
- RAINN has advised the presidential task force on rape on college campus and many were quite disappointed with their recommendations, including Autostraddle which gave its own advice. But worse was the rape-culture-denying Time article it inspired which made still more people furious. Time later posted this opinion piece which is incredibly well articulated and important.
- Since “Princeton Mom” Susan Patton continues to receive media attention, many Princeton faculty members wrote and cosigned a letter to the Daily Princetonian declaring their stance against victim-blaming
- Important representation of the mostly ignored intersection of disability, sexuality, and kink
- A government computer glitch has been delaying critical food assistance for families in North Carolina for months
- The University of Alabama student senate killed a, by all accounts, fairly modest bill which intended to fight racism in the school’s Greek organizations and promote integration
- Harold P. Freeman, cancer surgeon, former president of the American Cancer Society, and founder of The Harold P. Freeman Patient Navigation Institute, talks about the racial disparity in cancer treatment and care
And a BGD Bonus:
- Mia McKenzie talks about white racial satire and why we really don’t need it
- Also you should follow them on Twitter (@BlackGirlDangerous) for amazing things like this