Happy 4th, Disruptors!
Check out the juicy goodness that we’ve been reading these past few weeks! As always, if you have links you’re looking at, share away!
- SCOTUS’ Hobby Lobby ruling is angrymaking and awful, but at least we have Twitter snark to make us feel better.
- In a post-Hobby Lobby world, religious organizations are working to get exemptions from Obama’s executive order protecting LGBT workers. Shocking, really.
- The 3-finger salute from the Hunger Games is being used as an actual symbol of protest against an oppressive government in Thailand.
- Conservative think tankers think marriage will solve rape culture. Jezebel is not amused:
It doesn’t take a pair of conservative think tank darlings wearing their most blindery, agenda-driven thinking caps on so tightly that it cuts off all circulation to their brains to realize that attributing all of these things to marriage is either stupid or deliberately obtuse. Everything that [the authors have] dubiously attributed to marriage is actually — and solidly — associated with wealth.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) issued a statement urging governing bodies to remove surgical requirements for trans people to legally change their birth certificate/identification/name/etc on the grounds that it’s often tantamount to coercive or involuntary sterilization.
- OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS three Autostraddle writers made a worksheet to help you talk to you partner about sex. It’s LITERALLY THE BEST EVER.
- Genderqueer, professional, and unafraid:
Professionalism is a funny term, because it masquerades as neutral despite being loaded with immense oppression. As a concept, professionalism is racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, imperialist and so much more — and yet people act like professionalism is non-political. Bosses across the country constantly tell their employees to ‘act professionally’ without a second thought. Wear a garment that represents your non-Western culture to work? Your boss may tell you it’s unprofessional. Wear your hair in braids or dreadlocks instead of straightened? That’s probably unprofessional too. Wear shoes that are slightly scuffed because you can’t yet afford new ones? People may not think you’re being professional either.
- On the heartwrenching fatigue of writing about racism repeatedly: “Imagine an editor asking a writer to passionately articulate why a drunk driver hitting and killing a boy on a bicycle is wrong and sad. That would never happen, because a drunk driver killing a boy on a bike is a self-evident tragedy. Asking a writer to exert lots of effort to explain why would be a disservice to the dead, as if his right to life were ever in question, as if our moral obligation to not snuff out our fellow citizens via recklessness were something in need of an eloquent plea.”
- Here’s an amazeballs comic about street harrassment to make your day better.
- Autostraddle on queer tango, which we all agree sounds fabulous.
What are you reading? Tell us in the comments below!
Stay magnificent, y’all!